Monday, September 26, 2011

Sunflowers




Since I was a young girl (which was many moons ago), I have always loved Sunflowers.


I would catch a glimpse of it when I pass someone's garden and see this bright yellow flower stretching towards the sun.  I felt warm inside and it brought a smile to my face.


I used to stay in Bangkok, Thailand for 3 years and one of the most amazing experience I had was visiting Saraburi in November (2.5 hours drive from Bangkok city).  There were Sunflowers stretching out as far as my eyes could see.  Tall, majestic and brilliant yellow.  I even bought a dried Sunflower as large as a dinner plate!  How cool is that?



Sunflower has smaller buds, next to another Sunflower plant I purchased from another Nursery


I have been gardening for the last 1 year and felt that it was time to plunge in and try to plant some Sunflower in my Garden.  So, when I was at the Sg Buloh nursery, I saw this Sunflower which has a huge flower and also has other smaller buds, I thought that it looked unique.  Rather than enjoying only one large flower, I get to enjoy a few sunflower buds in one plant.  



Newly purchased Sunflower



The large bud was already dried up and I was keen to purchase it to germinate my own seeds.



Small pretty Sunflower buds all over

So, I dried the seeds.  Almost 100 seeds!


I planted it just beside my house overlooking my glass door.  I want to admire it each time I look out


I am already in the process of germinating it and look forward to have the front of my house surrounded with Sunflowers.  It would look glorious.


Absolutely beautiful!



Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

  1. I had some precious sunflower seeds from a friend that I sowed on the ground. The next morning, I heard some happy, chirping sounds. I thought I would be overjoyed to see birds on my front yard but I had a jaw-dropping surprise. I found that almost all the seeds were gone, only empty shells left-behind! Anyway, I thank the birds for teaching me a valuable lesson. So, I'm glad it filled their empty stomachs. The funny thing is that they didn't like the bird seeds I bought from a petshop :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Autumn Belle: Aiya... So tragic but so funny at the same time. Even birds like organic seeds and not the store bought ones!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You will be the most popular house in your neighbourhood when many smiling sunflower growing in front your house. It will be a glorious sight!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeap, the birds like to chew on those seeds... mine too were not spared...

    ReplyDelete