Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Metal Trellis

I have a redundant section of my garden which I have been stocking with unused soil and other stuffs.  I have decided to clear it off and start planting some vegetables.    


I threw some Salad and Spinach seeds and hopefully it will start to grow shoot soon.  But my previous experience have not been successful.   I used to grow them in little pots but this time round, I am too lazy.  So, I just threw it into the ground.


Also, with that, I have grown some Malabar Spinach (red vine), Sweet Potato leaves and "Kangkung" (water spinach).



Metal Trellis used with water pipe cut


The metal water pipe was used for this section of the garden.  I realised that the metal water pipe was definitely much stronger than the plastic pipe.  It will also last for a long time. Most beneficial growing fruits e.g. water melon, honey dew or any other fruits or vegetable that is heavy.


Malabar Spinach and Sweet Potato leave just starting to grow



Malabar Spinach: Red vine variety









More Sweet Potato leaves.  I know, I know, I can eventually start selling some at the local Market


I might have been a little overzealous with propagating the Sweet Potato leaves.   Maybe, I will leave this section for the Malabar Spinach (red vine), not sure.  I will decide later.


I might even be able to sell it at the "Pasar Malam" (night market in Bahasa Malaysia).   Me, the part-time farmer :-)


Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

  1. Hi, on your question about whether I grew my portulacca plants from seeds, I didn't. I grew them from 5 packets of seedlings of different colours that I bought from Amcorp Mall's Flea Market. Planted all 5 packets in one pot and that's how I get multi-colour plants in one pot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi Christina,

    Thanks for visiting and posting on my blog. I think I should visit your blog often for ideas on gardening... my mother is an avid gardener (I am not), but given that organice veggies dont come cheap.. I realize I have to support my mother in her gardening efforts.. I think I will also make a trellis...using your idea.. if you dont mind.

    Its a coincidence perhaps , but I actually created a blog entry about Sweet Potato Leaves, Malabar Spinach and also Malunggay (i think you call it Marungay in Bahasa? -- or MOringa in English)-- you might want to add Moringa in your garden, its as nutritious as Kale and best cooked in coconut milk-- add some fish.

    regards,
    Lanie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Lanie,
    Thanks for your tips, I will read your post on sweet potato leaves. I am trying to increase my vege varieties, especially the easy ones. It keeps me motivated.

    Go ahead and take the idea for my trellis. I would love to see it paraded at your garden if I ever bump into it in Subang Jaya :-)

    ReplyDelete