Friday, August 26, 2011

Propagating Stevia


If you are a Stevia fan, like me, you would probably realise how overpriced this plant is.  Yet, due to the benefits of the sweet leaves as an alternative sugar replacement - I still gotta have it!  Each pot cost RM10 and I bought 4 pots from 3 different nurseries. 


Obsessed?  I don't know what you are talking about....


I was trying to be ambitious by transplanting it from stems.   Unfortunately, I was not successful.  Neither through soaking in water or transplanting on the ground.


Discouraged.


More bad news.... Apparently after it bear flowers, it dies.  So, to keep it alive, the flowers needs to be cut-off as soon as you see flower buds appearing.  So, a Gardener has to stay vigilant in order to ensure that each time  it flowers,  the scissors it put to use.


Which means that in a matter of weeks, the Stevia plants might die!



One Mother Pot to 3 Transplant pots



I came up with another idea of transplanting the Stevia and this is what I did.


I took some paper clips and "untangle" it.




Paper clips to use as clips to push the Stevia stems down



Use the part of the Stevia stems that are 'droopy'.   Its difficult to use the stems that are standing upward.  I only have one plant that seems to be more matured than the other 3 plants, so, it has many 'droopy' stems.  This will be a good option to do this way of transplanting.






Use one or two paper clips.  Cut-off some leaves around the stem



After the paper clips are applied, cover it with soil.  The objective is to allow roots to grow from those stems.


Of course, if the stems are 'stubborn' and refuse to 'lie' quietly.  A piece of small rock can always do the trick.



A piece of small rock is doing a good job of 'sitting' on the stubborn stem



Stevia stems in the process of propagation




So far, there is about 10 stevia stems in the process of being propagated.  I am keeping my fingers ....


... and toes crossed.


Logic tells me this might work but somebody still gotta tell the Stevia.






Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

  1. My missus and I are fond of stevia... more so, me... our plant has no problem surviving... we almost 'ignore' it and it grows... I enjoy having hot drinks from the dried leaves and they are really sweet... simple and delicious... good luck with your transplants... seems like the nurseries are making quite a bit of fortune from these seedlings at that price...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lrong: That's good to know. Most of my internet research says that Stevia dies after flowering. Maybe now I can relax a little. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never grown stevia and I like your idea.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Autumn Belle: I love the stevia. You will enjoy it too.

    ReplyDelete