Thursday, August 18, 2011

New Compost Bin


My Compost Bin was one of the few things I implemented when I was started my Organic Garden.  I wanted something easy, so, I did the Chicken Wire Compost Bin.  It served me well.  I just dump, dump and dump.


Its been a year.


I have not used any of the finished Compost.  So far, I have only turned it twice.


Maybe its time to make a change....




That's how the Compost Bin looks now... overflowing


I was inspired to try another type of Compost Bin.  After I made some research in youtube,  I thought that the Compost Tumbler could work.  It seems simple enough...


A brand new Tumbler was about RM90 per pc but I didn't want to spend that much just to throw scrap.  I accidentally bumped into a junkyard along Jalan Bukit Kemuning, Shah Alam, Selangor.  They sell all kinds of recycle stuffs e.g. containers, scrap metal, etc.  I was soooo happy when they had the exact type of Tumbler I was looking for at RM25 per pc.  So, I bought 2 pcs.




Tumbler has a top cover with a metal clip


I washed it clean with detergent and dried it.  It didn't store any toxic chemical inside but I just want to make sure everything is clean.



Made up of sturdy plastic and should be durable for a long time, hopefully


The Tumbler requires holes for Compost aeration.  So, I had The Teenage Son and The Little Boy drill 16 holes, the size of a 20 cents coin.



The Teenage Son drilled and The Little Boy held the Tumbler down


I was all excited to try out the Compost Bin.


What I need to do is ....  fill 3/4 of the Tumbler with kitchen scrap/grass clippings and not more.  Gotta leave the Compost alone without adding more scrap.  If not, it will delay the Compost from being finished. Make the Tumbler lie vertically and roll it around once a day or few times a week.  I should have finished Compost in 21 days.


Seriously???!!!??


21 days ???!!!!?


The large cover makes it easy to throw scrap in

I can't wait!


Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

  1. Good work on the compost projects... I just dump mine into the veggie plots and let them break down right there...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Lrong. I wish I have your vegetable plots. So spacious.

    ReplyDelete