Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Yam & Chili Padi



I don't recall having eaten homegrown yam.  Maybe when my Grandmother was alive...  I am not sure.  


But what do you know, I am planting them in my garden.   It was given by my Mother a few months ago and it seems to be growing well.  I am just not sure when to harvest it.




The Yam



A few months ago, I visited the Zenxin organic farm in Johor.  The Tour Manager was kind enough to allow me to take some cuttings of Sweet Potato leave and Malabar Spinach which I propagated successfully.  Incidentally when I was there, a chili plant was growing by the side and I could not resist taking a few fruit home.  I successfully planted it and this species is super spicy and aromatic.  I absolutely adore it!  Its great eating fresh chili padi whenever  I want it and however much but with restraint because I don't want to waste any.  Its my favorite thing to eat with anything and everything. 




Chili Padi plant - It has taken many months but it is at last fruiting loads







Chili Padi -  Very tiny but spicy



I currently have a few more seeds which I am going to plant.  Hopefully I can ensure that there will not be any interruptions of Chili Padi supply when this particular one dies of a natural death.




Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

  1. I love chili padi!
    The leaves of the yam look like lilies. I love the variety of plants you can grow in your land.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your cili padi plant will look like a Christmas tree when many of them turn red. Your yam look very healthy. Wish we can grow yam here too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mrs Bok: Thanks for coming by. I am happy to be experimenting.

    Malay-Kadazan girl: My chili plant is not doing that well. Unfortunately. My yam looks healthier.

    ReplyDelete